Before you apply
Here is some information you should know before applying. Please read carefully!
- All applications must be submitted electronically on Townsend’s rental website.
- The application fee is $40 per adult. (Anyone over 18 must apply)
The application fee is non-refundable.
- This fee covers the cost of obtaining your credit report from Experian Credit Union.
- This is a soft credit check
- A Government issued photo ID is required for application processing.
- Everyone over the age of 18 who intends to reside in the home must submit a separate application.
- Each applicant applying with a “roommate” must qualify solely and individually in regard to: income, credit, criminal and rental history. Married couples may combine income, but the other qualifying factors may affect their chances of approval. (credit, criminal or rental history)
Our background check consists of collecting and reviewing the following information:
While credit scores are important, we are more interested in the factors that contribute to your score. A lower score could be off-set by a great rental history and solid income.
*Other factors may affect the overall approval
- 600 or higher = Standard approval*
- 525 – 599 = Additional Deposit may be required*
- 524 or lower = Scores of 524 or lower will most likely be denied.
While applicants with a criminal record may be subject to denial, all applicants will be treated fairly. Townsend Real Estate reviews all criminal convictions on a case by case basis.
*The criminal report dates back seven years.
Your gross monthly income must be a minimum of 3 times the monthly rent. You will be required to provide proof of income. (Pay stubs for 1 month)
Self-employed applicants may provide a copy of the previous year’s tax return or bank statements.
Townsend will perform a rental history verification with your last landlord. If you have rental history shorter than 12 months a larger deposit may be required. If your rental history includes: late payments, eviction(s), excessive lease violations, excessive property damage, unauthorized tenants/pets, pest infestations due to tenant negligence, improper notice to vacate, three or more late notices within a 12-month period, noise or nuisance violations, two or more NSF charges, or outstanding balance owed, your application may be denied.
Processing an application
- It is our goal to process applications within 24-48 business hours of receipt (pursuant to applicant providing all necessary documents – ID, Rental Verification History, and proof of income.)
This process may take longer than 24-48 hours if all required documentation has not been provided upon submission of the application. Townsend will make a reasonable attempt to contact previous and present landlord(s) submitted by Applicant; however, the ultimate responsibility for supplying this information to Management lies with the Applicant
- NOTE: Townsend reserves the right to deny tenancy based on an inability to contact the references provided
- Certain properties may be in high demand! In some cases, there may already be applications submitted at the time you submit your application. We cannot guarantee a home, even if it was available at the time your application is submitted. Homes are rented to the first approved applicant with the full reservation fee paid. A reservation fee will not be accepted until the rental application is approved.
Applying with or without pets
All applicants are required to complete a pet screening application via petscreening.com. Pet Screening is a third-party service used to screen household pets, validate assistance animals and confirm that every resident understands Townsend’s pet policies.
Applicants without pets will complete a brief questionnaire, on petscreening.com, to formally acknowledge that unauthorized pets are not permitted in the home. There is no fee to complete this questionnaire.
Applicants with pets must pay an application fee of $20 for the first pet and $15 for each additional pet.
Applicants with service animals, or emotional support animals are not required to pay a pet fee. Visit
https://www.petscreening.com/hud-ada-fhact-links for more information.
- Upon approval, a non-refundable $250 fee per pet must be paid by the move-in date.
- For more information on how pet screening works visit the website here: (https://info.petscreening.com/residents)